Portsmouth children need foster carers
Portsmouth City Council needs more foster carers to provide homes for Portsmouth children from babies through to teenagers. Foster carers do an amazing job in helping children and young people reach their full potential and you could do it too. We have a particular need for more foster carers for teenagers, and respite carers for children with complex needs.
The fostering scheme at the council benefits from significant support, with:
- a fantastic, sector leading support package
- wrap around care providing a highly skilled, professional team 365 days a year
- freely available support on a 24/7 basis
- full training prior to your first fostering placement, and a full, ongoing training calendar all year round, covering a wide range of fundamental and emerging subjects.
We also have recruitment events and drop-ins throughout the year where you can chat to the team and current foster carers to find out all about fostering, the assessment process and ask any questions you may have. View details on our upcoming recruitment events here.
The rewards that come with fostering are great - the personal satisfaction that you have made a difference to a child's life. We have a number of fostering options available to suit those who want to continue to work outside the home full-time, part-time, or would like to consider fostering as a full-time career.
Respite care is often suitable to people who are unable to foster full-time but are able to offer weekday respite for our full-time foster carers. Please note, you must be available for weekday respite, as well as some weekend and school holiday. Supported Lodgings is also especially popular, suiting people who may want to continue in wider employment, and simply offer a spare room and support to a young person (aged 16-24).
You may be who we are looking for if some of the following applies to you:
- Do you have a spare room?
- Are you over 18?
- Do you have child care experience?
- Do you have experience of working with young people?
- Do you have the time and energy to invest in a child or young person?
- Do you live in Portsmouth or the surrounding area?
- Do you have professional, voluntary or personal experience of caring for people with disabilities?
Talk to us today. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out our online enquiry form.
Listen to what our foster carers say
View our online videos to hear directly from some of our most experienced foster carers. Topics include:
- Why they foster
- The difference they make
- The application process
- Fostering and their family
- What the children say
- What's in it for them
Monthly drop in sessions
Come to one of our events and chat to the team, as well as some of our current foster carers.
There's no need to book, you can simply drop by for an informal chat at the event.
Next event: Please note all events are suspended until further notice. Click here for more information.
Are you interested in adoption?
The team at Adopt South run adoption events at a number of different locations.
To attend any of the recruitment events run by adoption, please note that you need to formally register your interest.
Please check out Adopt South for more information.