Portsmouth children need foster carers
Portsmouth City Council needs more foster carers to provide homes for Portsmouth children from babies through to teenagers. Foster carers do an amazing job in helping children and young people reach their full potential and you could do it too. We have a particular need for more foster carers for teenagers, and respite carers for children with complex needs.
The fostering scheme at the council benefits from significant support, with:
- a fantastic, sector leading support package
- wrap around care providing a highly skilled, professional team 365 days a year
- freely available support on a 24/7 basis
- full training prior to your first fostering placement, and a full, ongoing training calendar all year round, covering a wide range of fundamental and emerging subjects.
The rewards are great - the personal satisfaction that you have made a difference to a child's life. We have a number of fostering options available to suit those who want to continue to work outside the home full-time, part-time, or would like to consider fostering as a full-time career.
Respite care is often suitable to people who would like to foster on some evenings, some weekends, or during some school holidays for example (often especially attractive to teachers/school staff). The Lodgings Plus scheme is also especially popular, suiting people who may want to continue in wider employment, and simply offer a spare room and support to a young person (aged 16-24).
You may be who we are looking for if some of the following applies to you:
- Do you have a spare room?
- Are you over 18?
- Do you have child care experience?
- Do you have experience of working with young people?
- Do you have the time and energy to invest in a child or young person?
- Do you live in Portsmouth or the surrounding area?
- Do you have professional, voluntary or personal experience of caring for people with disabilities?
Talk to us today. Call 023 9283 4071, e-mail us at email@example.com or fill out our online enquiry form.
Listen to what our foster carers say
View our online videos to hear directly from some of our most experienced foster carers. Topics include:
- Why they foster
- The difference they make
- The application process
- Fostering and their family
- What the children say
- What's in it for them
Monthly drop in sessions
Come along to one of our events and chat to the team, along with a number of our current foster carers.
There in never any need to book to attend, you can simply drop by for an informal chat at the event.
Next event: tbc
Are you interested in adoption?
The adoption team also run adoption events at a different location twice a month.
To attend any of the recruitment events run by adoption, please note that you need to formally regsiter your interest.
Please check out the Portsmouth Adoption Centre for more information.